Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Another delicious meal...Lunch!

I have found my new favorite egg dish...and it includes kale.


I first saw the recipe that was my inspiration on my favorite foodie website...tastespotting.com. Said recipe itself was taken from Martha Stewart and modified, and when I did it myself I modified it in a few more ways.

Martha's original recipe called for kale, and though the recipe I looked at used different greens I was more than happy to use my beloved kale in this recipe. I also omitted several of the spices and cut it down from a 4-egg recipe to a 2-egg recipe.

First wash it up and tear it from the stocks. Martha calls for "slicing it from the stalks in ribbons" but that's for much less aggressive people, I guess.

Pop that kale in a skillet (coated with olive oil) over medium heat. 

This is where it calls for mushrooms, but to my dismay we didn't have any in our fridge and the -30-degree temps deterred me from running over to the grocery store.

Meanwhile get your eggs ready so you can pop them in at a moments notice, when the kale is just reaching perfection.

When the kale gets wilty enough, make little wells and pour the eggs in (or just dump them, as I did). 

Put a lid on the skillet and let the eggs cook while covered - this takes 3-5 minutes (depending on how you prefer your eggs). The lid also helps prevent the splattery olive oil from spraying everywhere.

When it's done as you like it, serve it up! You may want to add pepper and salt as you prefer. I thought a sprinkle of salt tasted really nice with the kale...and I don't think I've ever enjoyed olive oil quite so much as paired with my crispy, favorite dark green veggie.

I set my plate up at the table with the paper and A Year in Provence...but don't be fooled, I inhaled this lunch in -2 minutes because it was so delicious.

-------------------------------------------

Just prior to my delicious lunch I got back in the groove after my day off by doing my spin workout and 8-minute abs. At first I was really dragging and didn't want to do it - I would much rather be outside running but that's impossible with our temperatures and wind chills right now... As stir crazy as I might be I'd rather make it through the day with all of my fingers and toes. 

Kept things festive with the shoe/sock combo.

Post-workout I had one of my favorite drinks...hot chocolate (made with real cocoa powder). For the first time I used my new dairy alternative, (vanilla) almond milk, to make this concoction and it was even more yummy than I remember with real cow's milk. I did had a dollop of real whipped cream and that did not seem to bother me.

Will definitely be back to hitting the roads tomorrow when it's a balmy 20 degrees. Cannot wait!








No comments:

Post a Comment